Landon with local farmers

Landon with local farmers

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Obi-Wan, the Lord and patience

01.20.13
Hey all!


I can't believe that I am already writing you all again! Where does the time go? For crying out loud... well, here I am again! 

Elder Garner's Christmas Package in Utah
6 weeks before he received it in the Philippines
First off, I just want to say that I did get your package finally! All was safe, and sound. Thank you for all the stuff. Now all I need to do is find a place to exchange that money in our area. I think there is one in Victorias (where we email and do p-day stuff), I just need to find out where it is. The candy is all gone by the way. Haha it didn't last very long at all. Elder DLS and I love our new ties! Thank you so much. 

A few things that I did find this past week, and some small things that happened, first... guess what I found when I was grocery shopping last week, I found MOTT'S APPLE JUICE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Imported straight from USA my friends! Haha I bought the big container. I drink mostly water and Gatorade still, just apple juice is my favorite as you all know.  I had to have it. Weakness!

On another note, I give a big thanks to the music industry in America. Because of them, almost every kid in Philippines high school thinks the ‘F word’ is acceptable. Let’s just say I got sworn at a few times this past week. Ya not fun for me. I just kept walking and tried to ignore it. I need to figure out how to explain to them that in English that is an awful word. It’s quite amazing to me at how much influence  America has on the Philippines -- in everything.  


Young Obi-Wan aka Elder Garner



Another thing, I got cold this last week, like super cold. I was cold enough that when I got out of my bed in the morning, I took my blanket with me, and draped it over my shoulders as I wrote in my journal. My companion called me Obi-Wan Kenobi... Haha. But yes, there was no sun, and it was windy and rainy all week long. I will admit, again, I froze in the mornings but I finally got smart and boiled hot water to use when I shower. I have been here for almost 4 months, and I just started doing it... It is such a smart idea! So I just boil the water while I iron my shirt in the morning, and by the time I am finished ironing, I have hot water to use! Genius. Proud of me? 







Oh! I also found a tailor in our area! She lives way close to us, and she is way good at what she does. She did a few of my companions shirts, and it looks way good. So I gave her 3 of my pants to work on. I will get them back this week. Guess what the price was? 70 pesos for three pairs of pants. That’s $1.50. Dirt cheap! How about them apples?   



I forgot to mention this a long time ago, but I started collecting things from other religions that get handed to me on buses. For instance, this last week, we met a Muslim Filipino! It was way cool. He didn't have any intentions of bashing with us, he knows a lot about our church actually.  We had a nice little chat. I told him all our beliefs and he told me his. I shook his hand as he handed me a pamphlet.  That pamphlet is now in my suitcase. I will just add it to my mission box when I get home. Kind of cool! 


As for my companionship with Elder DLS, it was a better week than last week. I figured out a few things. He is just quiet because he doesn't know how to express himself in English. I mean as much as I wish I could speak fluent Hilagaynon, I just can't yet. So on Friday, in our companionship inventory, I asked that he has patience with me and my language. In return, I would do the same for him.  I will do the best I can to help him express himself, in whatever language. We kind of have a system now. So I am not as frustrated. We just need to have more patience with each other in every aspect of the word.  


I came to the conclusion that the Lord wants me to learn more patience. Seeing as I came into my mission with a past of not having much -- always in a rush, always wanting something done now --that kind of stuff. So all in all, my mission will teach me more than just the gospel, more than just another language, but it will also help me develop better Christ-like attributes that I can apply to my own life, use in my own life, and my future family’s life someday. 


never thought about that before I came here. I know now, that I will learn something new from each companion that I have. I started a list in the back of my planner of "things I learned from my companion this transfer"-- so I will do that every transfer and learn as much as I can. These next two years will do more for me out here than whatever I would have done if I chose not to serve. And for that, I am so glad. I love this work!I


So out of our two investigator families, the P family, and D family, the D family will get baptized on February 2nd, if they come to Church next week. They have their interview next Sunday, too. They have been taught all of the lessons they need.  All that's left is to refresh their minds. And we need to get their baptism records finished too... for 4 of them; Dad, Mom, 11 year old son, and 8 year old daughter. February 2nd though! I couldn't think of a better way to spend the day, than helping a family come that much closer by making that first covenant with our Heavenly Father, to entering his kingdom again. As for the P family, they have been taught every lesson possible -- all of it. They just need to get married now. That is all that is left. Our branch President is going to go try to get them their birth certificates today so... I will let you know next week how that ends up going and what the finalized plans are.


Filipino man working in a rice field 

Speaking of investigators, we got 2 more this past week! They are the parents of our Elders Quorum President. The only problem is, they live out in the middle of nowhere, and it takes like 20 minutes to get to, by motorcycle. 20 minutes! My comp wanted to walk at first, but the Elders Quorum President said he's crazy and it would take you all day just to get there -- Which is true. Also, the father works like day every day in the rice fields and he is only available on weekends after 8 pm. So the plan is we go there on Saturday and Sunday at 8 pm. That will just be our last appointment we have those days. We did go there last night, and the spirit prompted us to teach about families then go right into baptism… it sounds kind of weird I know but after  we invited them to be baptized and they both accepted!  How about that? So right now, we have 10 investigators that can be baptized in the next month or so. They all have the desire to follow our Savior and his example! So great! 


That was my week folks. It has been a pleasure writing you all at this time. Let’s do it again sometime. How about next week? Same day, same time, same place? Sound good? Sweet! I'll pick you up at about 11:45 am my time (I think my sense of humor is still intact). 


love you all so much! Thank you so much for all your love and support. Until next week! 
Elder Garner 

No comments:

Post a Comment