Landon with local farmers

Landon with local farmers

Sunday, December 23, 2012

God has a plan for everyone


Hello everyone!

First off, I just want to say that I will be calling around 9 PM your Christmas Eve. So 11am my time here on Christmas day. That is the earliest I can call. Does that work? 


SO this week was pretty much normal as far as mission life goes. Our Christmas conference is tonight by the way mom and dad…and tomorrow. So be looking for pictures sometime in that time frame!  I was actually asked to give the Spiritual thought tonight… yay? Oh well. I welcome the opportunity! I chose to talk about 2 Nephi 25:26. Its missionary work baby! I also memorized a quote from Jeffery R. Holland to use too. So I guess you could say I did my homework. :) I will let you know how that goes next week!

Elder Garner sharing a spiritual thought in
Hiligaynon language during Christmas Conference 2012


Elder Garner center, Elder Ellis 2nd from left,
Bacolod Mission Home Christmas Conference 2012


So Tuesday, we had district meeting, and right after, I found out that Elder Ellis was having exchanges with the Manapla Elders... and I live with them.  Meaning... he stayed over that night.  It was so much fun. We cooked eggs, drank water, and had a good time -- All 4 of us. Good ol' Filipino campfire! Minus the language... so almost!   It’s just so crazy to me. As we all were talking, I thought about the late night basketball games where we stayed over the night in St. George for tournaments.  And now we are doing the same thing, on a mission in the Philippines! How nuts is that? I am not sure why we got the same mission call being as close as we were before the mission, but I am sure he and I will figure it out as time goes on. God has a plan for everyone! 


Anyway, the next day on Wednesday, we worked with all the branch missionaries. Well, some of them. 4 of the 9 I believe. One of them is Michael R! The 19 year old I baptized a month ago! He was newly called as a Branch Missionary and goes with us every day, despite the parents’ wishes (they are Baptist). He has such a strong testimony of the church. It is amazing how much he has changed in the 2 and a half months I have known him. Love that kid! Its a blessing to have him there, being a convert and all. He brings that kind of spirit with him that as a new convert, really helps in lessons--especially with investigators.

Speaking of, Elder DLS and I decided to start talking to EVERYONE we saw. Handing out pamphlets left and right! BOOM! We got 4 new investigators this week alone. Which is a new record for me personally.... 3 of them live in the same area.  And let me tell ya, we can’t take a tricycle out there because it would be 100 pesos. What a rip! So instead, we walked like an hour. It took forever! But we finally got there, taught all three of them, and they seem interested. We are going to invite them to baptism this week next time we visit! As for the 4th, haven't found her yet.  There isn’t such thing as an address here so... we just ask people if they know who the person is, then they tell us how to get there. Its nuts! And I must learn how to do that quickly or I will be so toast when I train someday... soon. 
Filipino chili peppers


This little memory is for Heather, but I think you all will get a kick out of it. :) My companion really loves hot and spicy foods. So, whenever he cooks, he puts those hot little peppers in it --All the time. The same ones you had at PF Changs on my birthday over a year ago! Let’s just say I have received your pay back through him. I cry because it is so hot! Good-ness!





I heard through Elder Ellis that Rob M. got his mission call! Mexico! --Couldn't be happier for the kid. Everyone I knew in High School is either on a mission, just getting their calls, or now coming home! What the fruit! Time sure does fly man...! 

Anyway, in closing I just want to say that I love you all. I sent home "special letters" to my own family, Heather, and Nana and Papa for Christmas this week. It won’t get there by Christmas sadly... but, I just pray that you actually get them. It kills me that some of the letters haven’t gotten home yet.  :/ But, know that I send one every 1 or two weeks to you all. I love you and miss you all so much.

I love you. 
Until we meet again! 
-Elder Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment